How to find a new niche
Many systems are founded on generalizing/controlling/expanding a previously fixed/uncontrolled mapping. Examples:
- Shorinji Kempo (probably many martial arts) seek to generalize the mapping between visual cues and physical actuality, in order to deceive the opponent and achieve more skilful actions.
- Magicians etc. do the same, but in a more controlled environment, and to create awe rather than survival/superiority in a fight.
- Pickpockets/thieves do the same, but to remain undetected.
Perhaps all cultural activities can be characterized this way.
- Cooking arose as a way to generalize the mapping between food ingredients and meals.
- Agriculture arose as a way to control the mapping between land and produce.
- Communications technologies arise as a way to generalize/control the mapping between location/circumstance and opportunity for communications.
Perhaps this is too general to be useful. But perhaps it is also an axis along which you can interpret things usefully.